Place:


Bushey  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bushey like this:

BUSHEY, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Watford district, Herts. The village stands ¾ of a mile E of the North Western railway, near the river Colne, 1½ mile SE of Watford; has a station on the railway and a post office under Watford; and was once a markettown. The parish includes also Bushey-Heath, which likewise has a post office under Watford, and is 3 miles from that town. ...


Acres, 3,188. Real property, £15,586. Pop. 3,159. Houses, 680. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given by William the Conqueror to Geoffrey de Mandeville; and passed afterwards to the Crown. Bushey-Manor-House, Bushey-Grove, and Bushey-Grange are chief residences. The high grounds of Bushey-Heath command an extensive and beautiful view. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of St. Peter, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £765.* Patron, Exeter College, Oxford. The parish church is tolerable; and St. Peter's church is modern and very good. There are three dissenting chapels and three public schools. The subdistrict contains two parishes. Pop., 4,928. Houses, 1,032.

Bushey through time

Bushey is now part of Hertsmere district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hertsmere has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bushey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bushey, in Hertsmere and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/32

Date accessed: 22nd November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bushey ".