Place:


Awliscombe  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Awliscombe like this:

AWLISCOMBE, a village and a parish in Honiton district, Devon. The village stands near the river Otter, and near the Yeovil and Exeter railway, 2 miles WNW of Honiton. It has a post office under Honiton; and was formerly a market-town. The parish comprises 2,569 acres. Real property, £4,022. ...


Pop., 579. Houses, 125. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given, in 1491, by Thomas Calwoodley, to the corporation of Exeter; but comprised then only 203½ acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £213.* Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is a neat Gothic edifice, mostly rebuilt in 1846; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles; and has a beautiful carved stone screen, and a tower. There are a Unitarian chapel, and charities £10. Thomas Charde, the last abbot of Ford, was a native.

Awliscombe through time

Awliscombe is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Awliscombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Awliscombe in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3195

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Awliscombe ".