Place:


Sowton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sowton like this:

SOWTON, a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon; 1½ mile SW of Broad-Clist r. station, and 3¼ E of Exeter-It includes the tything of Clist-Satchfield; and its Post town is Exeter. Acres, 1,094. Real property, £2,006. Pop., 382. Houses, 83. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £246.* Patron, the Bishop of E. The church was rebuilt in 1845. There are a parochial school and charities £10.

Sowton through time

Sowton is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sowton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sowton in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3174

Date accessed: 26th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sowton ".