Place:


Pelton  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pelton like this:

PELTON, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Chester-le-Street parish, Durham. The village stands1¼ mile S of the river Team, 2 N W of Chester-le-Street, and 4½ W by S of Penshaw r. station; has recently undergone much enlargement; and is associated with a popular air, called " Pelton Lonnin." The township comprises 1, 109 acres. ...


Real property, £3, 652. Pop. in 1851, 1, 207; in 1861, 2, 787. Houses, 544. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of collieries. The chapelry is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1842. Post-town, Fence-Houses. Rated property, £6, 557. Pop. in 1861, 4, 344. Houses, 829. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of Chester-le-Street. The church was built in 1842; is in the pointed style; and has a tower and spire. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and two public schools.

Pelton through time

Pelton is now part of Chester le Street district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester le Street has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pelton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pelton, in Chester le Street and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3173

Date accessed: 18th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pelton ".