Place:


Marham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marham like this:

MARHAM, a village and a parish in Downham district, Norfolk. The village stands 1½ mile S of the river Nar, 3¼ SW of Narborough r. station, and 7 W by N of Swaffham; is a long and pleasant place; and has a postal letter-box under Downham. The parish comprises 3,966 acres. Real property, £5,377. ...


Pop., 870. Houses, 179. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Sir Thomas Hare, Bart. Marham House is the seat of H. Villebois, Esq. A Cistertian nunnery was founded here, in 1251, by Isabella de Albini; was given, at the dissolution, to the Hares; and has left some remains at a farm-house, a little W of the church. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £434. * Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with a lofty tower; and is good. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and a fuel allotment of 200 acres.

Marham through time

Marham is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marham in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3171

Date accessed: 20th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marham ".