Place:


Ellenborough  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ellenborough like this:

ELLENBOROUGH AND EWANRIGG, a township in Dearham parish, Cumberland; on the coast, adjacent to the river Ellen, and to the Maryport and Carlisle railway, 1 mile SE of Maryport. Acres, 1, 224; of which 250 are water. Real property, £8, 028; of which £4, 944 are in mines. Pop., 1, 086. Houses, 213. An important Roman station was here; and a Roman road went from it to the station on the Wall at Carlisle. Altars, mirrors, inscriptions, substructions, and other Roman relics have been found. Ellenborough gives the title of Earl to the family of Law.

Ellenborough through time

Ellenborough is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ellenborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ellenborough, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3153

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ellenborough ".