Place:


Astley Abbotts  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Astley Abbotts like this:

ASTLEY-ABBOTS, a parish in Bridgnorth district, Salop; on the river Severn, and on the Severn Valley railway, 1½ mile S of Linley r. station, and 2½ N of Bridgnorth. Post Town, Bridgnorth. Acres, 3,228. Real property, £4,716. Pop., 668. Houses, 137. The property is divided among a few. Astley-Abbots House is the seat of T. Whitmore, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, not reported. Patron, W. A. Warwick, Esq. The church is Saxon, in tolerable condition; and has some ancient monuments. Charities, £11.

Astley Abbotts through time

Astley Abbotts is now part of Bridgnorth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgnorth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Astley Abbotts itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Astley Abbotts, in Bridgnorth and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3150

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Astley Abbotts ".