Place:


Uppingham  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Uppingham like this:

UPPINGHAM, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Rutland. The town stands 3 miles SSW of Manton r. station, and 6 S of Oakham; is a seat of county courts; consists chiefly of one long street; and has a head post-office,‡ two banking offices, a hotel, an ancient church restored in 1861, and surmounted by a lofty spire, four dissenting chapels, a new cemetery formed at a cost of more than £6,000, a famous grammar-school, a national school, a workhouse, charities £53, a weekly market on Wednesday, and fairs on 7 March and 7 July. ...


The grammar-school was founded in the time of Elizabeth; was rebuilt in 1863, at a cost of £40,000; has a chapel in the decorated English style, built in 1865, at a cost of nearly £6,000; includes accommodation for from 250 to 300 boarders; holds two scholarships of £70 a year each, and three exhibitions at the universities; had Archbishop Manners Sutton, Bishops Ferne and Bramston, and Lord Chancellor Manners for pupils; and has, in connexion with it, an hospital-charity for decayed tradesmen, widows, and others. Pop. of the town, in 1861, 2,176. Houses, 392.—The parish comprises 1,210 acres. Real property, £.9,201; of which £140 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 2,068; in 1861, 2,186. Houses, 397. The manor belonged to the Montforts; passed to the Beauchamps, the Cecils, the Greys, and others; and belongs now to the Earl of Gainsborough. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £661.* Patron, the Bishop of P. Jeremy Taylor was rector.—The sub-district contains 12 parishes. Acres, 19,007. Pop., 5,356. Houses, 1,080.—The district includes also Barrowden and Great Easton sub-districts, and comprises 52,698 acres. Poor rates, in 1863, £6,179. Pop. in 1851, 12,719; in 1861, 12,367. Houses, 2,626. Marriages in 1863, 73; births, 371,-of which 35 were illegitimate; deaths,. 259, -of which 100 were at ages under 5 years, and 7 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 756; births, 3,920; deaths 2,206. The places of worship, in 1851, were 31 of the Church of England, with 6,817 sittings; 4 of Independents, with 818 s.; 9 of Baptists, with 1,161 s.; 1 of Quakers, with 60 s.; 8 of Wesleyans, with 895 s; 2 of Wesleyan Reformers, with 186 s.; 2 undefined, with 380 s.: and 1 of Latter Day Saints, with 30 s. The schools were 18 public day-schools, with 1,170 scholars; 39 private day-schools, with 554 s.; and 37 Sunday schools, with 1,971 s.

Uppingham through time

Uppingham is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Uppingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Uppingham in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3144

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Uppingham ".