Place:


Lympstone  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lympstone like this:

LYMPSTON, a village and a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon. The village stands on the estuary of the Exe, and on the Exeter and Exmouth railway, 7½ miles SE by S of Exeter; was described by Leland as "a pretty townlet with a great trade in shippes;'' is now noted for oysters, which are brought hither from the coast to fatten; carries on a considerable trade in fish; is a sea-bathing resort; and has a head post office,‡ designated Lympston, Devon, a railway station, good inns, and respectable lodging-houses. ...


The parish contains also the hamlet of Sowdon. Acres, 1,400; of which 280 are water. Real property, £4,279; of which £23 are in quarries. Pop., 1,122. Houses, 240. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir T. Drake, Bart. There are several handsome residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £267.* Patron, T. G. Curtler, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1864, but retains the fine and very ancient tower of the previous ediffice. There are a Wesleyan chapel, national schools, and charities £30.

Lympstone through time

Lympstone is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lympstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lympstone in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3134

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lympstone ".