Place:


Churchstanton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Churchstanton like this:

CHURCH-STANTON, a parish in the district of Taunton and county of Devon; on the verge of the county, under the Black Down hills, 6½ miles SE of Wellington r. station, and 10 NNE of Honiton. It is divided into the portions of Churchenfort, Burnworthy, Red Lane, and Stapley; and it contains the post office of Churchenfort, under Honiton. ...


Acres, 4, 980. Real property, £4, 524. Pop., 961. Houses, 204. The property is much subdivided. Otterhead, an early Tudor mansion, is the seat of W. Beadon, Esq. Very fine iron ore exists; and appears, from many remains of works, to have been anciently smelted. Numerous barrows and indications of Roman works are seen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £421.* Patron, the Rev. H. Edwards, jun. The church is ancient; consists of nave, chancel, south aisle, and western tower; and contains a carved oaken pulpit and a very ancient font. There are small chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and charities, £11. Salkeld, a theological writer of the time of James II., was rector.

Churchstanton through time

Churchstanton is now part of Taunton Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Taunton Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Churchstanton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Churchstanton, in Taunton Deane and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3132

Date accessed: 19th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Churchstanton ".