Place:


Knapton  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knapton like this:

KNAPTON, a parish in Erpingham district, Norfolk; near the coast, 2¾ miles NE of North Walsham, and 17 NNE of Norwich r. station. Post town, North Walsham under Norwich. Acres, 1, 480. Real property, £2, 873. Pop., 310. Houses, 80. The property is subdivided. Knapton House is the seat of Sir Henry Robinson. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £475. Patron, alternately Lord Suffield and Peter's College, Cambridge. The church stands on an eminence; is an ancient edifice, with a tower; and has a superb roof, with richly carved corbels. There is a church school.

Knapton through time

Knapton is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Knapton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knapton in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3114

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Knapton ".