Place:


Arksey  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Arksey like this:

ARKSEY, or Bentley-with-Arksey, a parish in Doncaster district, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Great Northern railway and the river Don, 2 miles N of Doncaster. It has a station on the railway; it includes the hamlets of Almholme, Bodles, Doncaster-Bridgend, Scawthorpe, Shaftholme, and Stockbridge; and it has a post office, of the name of Bentley., under Doncaster. ...


Acres, 5,220. Rated property, £8,899. Pop., 1,099. Houses, 260. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £113. Patron, Sir W. R.Cooke, Bart. The church is ancient. There are two Methodist chapels, a free school, 12 alms-houses, and other charities £160.

Arksey through time

Arksey is now part of Doncaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Doncaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Arksey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Arksey, in Doncaster and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/310

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Arksey ".