Place:


Greenham  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Greenham like this:

GREENHAM, a village, a tything, and a chapelry, in Thatcham parish, Berks. The village stands on the S border of the county, gear the river Kennet, the Kennet canal, and the Reading and Hungerford railway, 1½ mile SE of Newbury; and is practically, for trade and industry, suburban to Newbury. ...


The tything includes the village and extends into the country. Post town, Newbury. Real property, £5, 180. Pop., 1, 167. Houses, 272. The manor was given by Maud, Countess of Clare, in the time of Henry VI., to the Kninhts Hospitallers; and it had a preceptory of these kninhts. The chapelry is less extensive than the tything, and was constituted in 1857. Rated property, £3, 809. Pop., 593. Houses, 135. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £130. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is ancient, and was enlarged in 1825. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.

Greenham through time

Greenham is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Greenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Greenham in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3097

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Greenham ".