Place:


Willington  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Willington like this:

WILLINGTON, a parish in the district and county of Bedford; 4 miles E of Bedford r. station. Post town, Bedford. Acres, 1,648. Real property, £2,185. Pop., 290. Houses, 54. The manor belongs to the Duke of Bedford. Park Farm House is part of the seat of Sir John Gostwick, master of the horse to Henry VIII. Some Roman remains were found in 1860. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £235.* Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is later English. There is a parochial school.

Willington through time

Willington is now part of Bedford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bedford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Willington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Willington, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3094

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Willington ".