Place:


West Clandon  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Clandon like this:

CLANDON (West), a parish in Guildford district, Surrey; near the river Wey, under the Merrow downs, 3½ miles ENE of Guildford town and r. station. It has a post office under Guildford. Acres, 987. Real property, £2, 125. Pop., 329. Houses, 72. The property is divided among a few. Clandon Park is the seat of the Earl of Onslow; the grounds laid out by Brown; the house a structure of red brick, in a mixture of styles, after designs by Leoni, and containing two fine mantel-pieces by Rysbrach. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £136.* Patron, the Earl of Onslow. The church is good; and there is a n. school.

West Clandon through time

West Clandon is now part of Guildford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Guildford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Clandon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Clandon, in Guildford and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3082

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Clandon ".