Place:


Elstead  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elstead like this:

ELSTEAD, a village and a parish in Hambledon district, Surrey. The village stands on the river Wey, 3z miles WNW of Milford r. station, and 4¼ W by S of Godalming; and has a post office under Godalming. The parish comprises 4, 119 acres. Real property, £2, 430. Pop., 818. Houses, 164. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £78. Patron, the Rev. J. H. Stephenson. The church has Bishop Fox's pelican on the chancel roof, with characters of early English; and is small and good. There is an Independent chapel.

Elstead through time

Elstead is now part of Waverley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waverley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elstead, in Waverley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3081

Date accessed: 18th October 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elstead ".