Place:


St Teath  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Teath like this:

TEATH (St.), a parish in Camelford district, Cornwall; 3 miles SW of Camelford, and 14 N by W of Bodmin-Road r. station. It has a post-office under Camelford, and two annual fairs. Acres, 5,899; of which 60 are water. Real property, £7,169; of which £1,407 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2,204; in 1861, 1,980. ...


Houses, 405. The decrease of pop. arose from the closing of mines and slate quarries. Nearly half of the property belongs to the Hon. G. Fortescue, and the rest is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £205.* Patron, the Bishop of E. The church is of the time of Henry VII. and good. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Governor Bligh, of the Bounty, was a native.

St Teath through time

St Teath is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Teath itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Teath in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3077

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Teath ".