Place:


Blackwell  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blackwell like this:

BLACKWELL, a parish and a subdistrict in the district of Mansfield and county of Derby. The parish lies on the verge of the county, 2½ miles NE of Alfreton r. station. Post Town, Normanton, under Alfreton. Acres, 1,700. Real property, £2,705; of which £400 are in mines. Pop., 517. ...


Houses, 101. The property is divided among a few; and coal is worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £90. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church was built in 1826. There are a P. Methodist chapel and an endowed school.-The sub-dis. comprises four parishes. Pop., 4,552.

Blackwell through time

Blackwell is now part of Bolsover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bolsover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blackwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blackwell, in Bolsover and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3076

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blackwell ".