Place:


Crondall  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Crondall like this:

CRONDALL, a village, a tything, a parish, and a hundred in Hants. The village stands on the Roman road to Silchester, near the ancient British Maulth way and the Basingstoke canal, 3 miles W by N of Farnham r. station, and 4¼ ESE of Odiham; and has a post office‡ under Farnham. The tything includes the village; and bears the name of Crondall and Swanthorpe. ...


Pop., 492 Houses, 104. The parish contains also the tythings of Ewshott, Dippenhall, and Crookham. Acres, 9, 614. Real property, £9, 026. Pop., 2, 764. Houses, 563. The property is much subdivided. Some fine tesselated pavements have been found at Barley-Pound; and about 100 Merovingian gold coins were discovered, in 1828, on Ewshott Heath. An earthwork, with double ditch, called Cæsar's camp, is near the spot where the coins were found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £441. Patron, the Hospital of St. Cross, Winchester. The church is Norman; has been well restored; and contains a brass of 1370. The p. curacies of Crookham-with-Ewshott and Fleet are separate benefices.-The hundred is in Odiham division; contains five parishes; and is cut into lower half and upper half. Acres, 12, 244 and 16, 025. Pop., 2, 633 and 3, 645. Houses, 528 and 696.

Crondall through time

Crondall is now part of Hart district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hart has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Crondall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crondall, in Hart and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3073

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Crondall ".