Place:


Whitchurch  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitchurch like this:

WHITCHURCH, a village and a parish in Aylesbury district, Bucks. The village stands 4½ miles N by W of Aylesbury r. station, was once a market-town, and has a post-office under Aylesbury. The parish comprises 1,580 acres. Real property, £4,475. Pop., 884. Houses, 201. The property is much subdivided. A castle of the Giffards was here, and has left some traces. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £120.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient. There are two Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £15.

Whitchurch through time

Whitchurch is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitchurch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitchurch, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3065

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitchurch ".