Place:


Thurlstone  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thurlstone like this:

THURLSTONE, a township, with a village and five hamlets, in Penistone parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 1 mile W of Penistone, and including Hazlehead and Dunford-Bridge r. stations, 2 and 5 miles W. Acres, 7,740. Real property, £8,463; of which £800 are in mines, and £30 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2,018; in 1861, 2,251. Houses, 450. The manor belongs to the Earl of Scarborough. Woollen cloth manufacture is carried on. There are a Church school used as a chapel of ease, Independent and Wesleyan chapels, and an Independent school.

Thurlstone through time

Thurlstone is now part of Barnsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thurlstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thurlstone, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/305

Date accessed: 20th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thurlstone ".