In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bolton like this:
BOLTON, a chapelry in Morland parish, Westmoreland; on the river Eden, and on the Eden Valley railway, near Kirkby-Thore r. station, and 4 miles NNW of Appleby. It includes the hamlet of Bewley-Castle, and has a post office under Penrith. Acres, with Morland township, 5,449. Rated property, £2,228. Pop., 390. Houses, 73. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £80.* Patron, the Vicar of Morland. The church is good; and there is a Methodist chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bolton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Eden. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bolton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bolton, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bolton".