Place:


Little Marlow  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Marlow like this:

MARLOW (LITTLE), a parish in Wycombe district, Bucks; adjacent to the Thames, 2 miles WNW of Marlow-Road r. station and 4 S by E of High Wycombe. It has a post office under Marlow. Acres, 3,346. Real property, £5,488. Pop. in 1851,894; in 1 861,790. Houses, 172. The property is divided between two. ...


Thc manor belonged to Edith, the Queen of the Confessor; passed to the Bishop of Baieux, the Marshalls, the Clarres, and the Borlases; and, with the Manor House, belongs now to J. P. Ellames, Esq. Westhorpe House is occupied by G. Jackson, Esq. A Benedictine nunuery was founded in the time of Henry II., at what is now a farm. Chalk is manufactured into lime. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £155.* Patron, S. Birch, Esq. The church is a plain edifice, with a tower; was recently restored; and contains the tommb of the builder of its chancel, Nicholas de Ledwick, 1430. There are a national school, and charities £30.

Little Marlow through time

Little Marlow is now part of Wycombe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wycombe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Marlow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Marlow, in Wycombe and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3022

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Marlow ".