Place:


Holme  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holme like this:

HOLME, a township-chapelry in Burton-in-Kendal parish, Westmoreland; on the Lancaster canal, and on the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, 1½ mile N of Burton. It has a station, jointly with Burton, on the railway, and a post office under Burton, Westmoreland. Acres, 1, 616. Real property, £3, 000; of which £16 are in quarries. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1, 154; in 1861, 750. Houses, 138. The decrease of pop. was caused by suspension of labour in an extensive flax and woollen manufactory. This was burnt in 1861, but was reconstructed in 1864, and then made a cocoa-matting manufactory. The landed property is divided among a few. Holme-fell is part of the surface; and Farleton-knot is adjacent. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Burton. The church has a tower, and is very good. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Holme through time

Holme is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holme itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holme, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3012

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holme ".