Place:


Emley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Emley like this:

EMLEY, or Elmley, a village and a township in Wakefield district, and a parish partly also in Huddersfield district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near one of the sources of the river Dearne, 3¾ miles WNW of Haigh r. station, and 7 ESE of Huddersfield; and has a post office under Wakefield, and fairs on 25 March and 29 Sept. ...


The township includes also the hamlets of Bentley-Grange and Woodhouse. Acres, 3, 465. Real property, £5, 858; of which £1, 200 are in mines. Pop., 1, 441. Houses, 312. The parish includes also part of the township of Cumberworth-Half. Acres, 3, 715. Real property, with the rest of Cumberworth-Half, £9, 203. Pop., 2, 771. Houses, 573. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £422. Patron, the Earl of Scarborough. The church has an embattle tower, and is good. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and U. Free Methodists, and charities £24.

Emley through time

Emley is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Emley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Emley, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/300

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Emley ".