Place:


Carsington  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Carsington like this:

CARSINGTON, a parish in Ashborne district, Derby; on the Peak railway, 2 miles W of Wirksworth r. station, and 5 W of Whatstandwell Bridge. Post Town, Wirksworth. Acres, 1,118. Real property, £1,965. Pop., 269. Houses, 54. The property is divided among a few. Limestone abounds; and lead ore occurs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £176. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is good. An endowed school has £80. Oldfield, the non-conformist, and Farneworth, the translator of Machiavel, were rectors.

Carsington through time

Carsington is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carsington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carsington in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2998

Date accessed: 13th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carsington ".