Place:


Hagbourne  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hagbourne like this:

HAGBOURNE, a village and a parish in Wallingford district, Berks. The village stands 1¾ mile SSE of Didcot r. station, and 5 W by S of Wallingford; has an ancient cross, surmounting lofty steps; has also a postoffice, of the name of East Hagbourne, under Wallingford, and a fair on the Thursday before 11 Oct. ...


The parish consists of the liberties of East Hagbourne and West Hagbourne. Acres, 2, 755. Real property of E. H. £3, 978; of W. H. £2, 173. Pop. of E. H., 631; of W. H., 164. Houses, 132 and 38. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Craven. The Earl of Essex's troops were quartered here, in 1644, on their way from Reading to Abingdon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £165. * Patron. the Rev. R. Meredith. The church is ancient but good; has a square tower; and contains a splendid monument to John Philips, Esq. A charity for apprenticing has £25; and other charities have £46.

Hagbourne through time

Hagbourne is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hagbourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hagbourne, in South Oxfordshire and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2979

Date accessed: 22nd November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hagbourne ".