Place:


Loxhore  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Loxhore like this:

LOXHORE, a village and a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon, The village stands on a hill, amid very fine scenery, 5¼ miles NE by N of Barnstaple r. station; was originally called Lockeshore; and is a very scattered place. The parish comprises 1,530 acres; and its posttown is Barnstaple. ...


Real property, £1,490. Pop. in 1851,317; in 1861,250. Houses, 61. The decrease of pop. was caused by the introduction of agricultural machinery. The manor and most of the land belong to S. P. B. Chichester, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £177. Patron, S. P. B. Chichester, Esq. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower.

Loxhore through time

Loxhore is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Loxhore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Loxhore in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2957

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Loxhore ".