Place:


Iddesleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Iddesleigh like this:

IDDESLEIGH, a village and a parish in Okehampton district, Devon. The village stands on the E side of the valley of the Torridge, 4 miles NE of Hatherleigh, and 7½ SW of Eggesford r. station; was known to the Saxons as Ieddeslegh; and is a pretty place, amid romantic scenery.—The parish comprises 2,952 acres; and its posttown is Winkleigh, North Devon. ...


Real property, £2,563. Pop., 529. Houses, 109. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, in the time of William Rufus, to the De Sullys, -one of whom made a great figure as a crusader; passed, in the time of Henry VIII., to Sir John Leger; and belongs now to Sir Stafford H. Northcote, Bart. Ash House belongs to the ancient family of Mallett. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £350.* Patron, the Rev.Spackman. The church was partly rebuilt in 1847; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains many monumental tablets. There is a chapel for Bible Christians.

Iddesleigh through time

Iddesleigh is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Iddesleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Iddesleigh in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2955

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Iddesleigh ".