Place:


Eckington  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eckington like this:

ECKINGTON, a township, a parish, and a sub-district in Chesterfield district, Derby. The township lies on the river Rother, adjacent to the Midland railway and the Chesterfield canal, 6 miles NNE of Chesterfield; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Chesterfield. The parish contains also the townships of Troway, Renishaw, Ridgeway, and Mosborough. ...


Acres, 6, 610. Real property, £20, 601; of which £4, 631 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 4, 958; in 1861, 6, 064. Houses, 1, 189. The property is much subdivided. The working of coal has recently been much extended; and the manufacture of pottery and hardware is largely carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Valne, £774.* Patron, the Crown. The church is good. The vicarage of Ridgeway is a separate benefice. There are four Methodist chapels, a R. Catholic church and college, an endowed free school, and some charities.—The sub-district includes also Killamarsh parish and Staveley township. Acres, 14, 938. Pop., 13, 948. Houses, 2, 620.

Eckington through time

Eckington is now part of North East Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North East Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eckington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eckington in North East Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2945

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eckington ".