Place:


Southery  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Southery like this:

SOUTHERY, a parish, with a village, in Downham district, Norfolk; on the river Ouse, 3 miles SE of Hilgay r. station, and 5½ S of Downham-Market. It has a post-office under Downham. Acres, 3,695. Real property, £7,174. Pop., 1,164. Houses, 251. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £700.* Patron, the Rev. E. Hall. The church was built in 1865, and is in the Grecian style. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and a national school.

Southery through time

Southery is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Southery itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Southery in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2919

Date accessed: 18th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Southery ".