Place:


Garveston  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Garveston like this:

GARVESTONE, or Garston, a village and a parish in Mitford district, Norfolk. The village stands ¾ of a mile W of Thuxton r. station, and 5 SSE of East Dereham; and has a post office, of the name of Garvestone, under Attleborough. The parish comprises 802 acres. Real property, £2, 115. ...


Pop., 383. Houses, 83. The property is much subdivided. The right of lord of the manor was decided, in the time of King Edward, by the tenants in single combat. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £230.* Patron, the Rev. F. E. J. Valpy. The church is ancient; has an embattled tower, and an old font; and is good. Charities, £43.

Garveston through time

Garveston is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Garveston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Garveston, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2916

Date accessed: 23rd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Garveston ".