Place:


Hurstbourne Tarrant  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hurstbourne Tarrant like this:

HURSTBOURNE-TARRANT, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Andover district, Hants. The village stands on the river Swift, 5½ miles NNE of Andover r. station; and has a post office‡ under Andover. The parish includes the tything of Brickleton, and comprises 5, 036 acres. Real property, £4, 498. ...


Pop., 839. Houses, 193. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to D. A. B. Dewar, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of VernhamDean, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £370. * Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is of the latter part of the 12th century, in good condition; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with wooden tower; and contains monuments of the Pauletts. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £19.—The sub-district contains also four other parishes in Hants, and two in Wilts. Acres, 18, 898. Pop., 2, 875. Houses, 642.

Hurstbourne Tarrant through time

Hurstbourne Tarrant is now part of Test Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Test Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hurstbourne Tarrant itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hurstbourne Tarrant, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2915

Date accessed: 21st February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hurstbourne Tarrant ".