Place:


Watton  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Watton like this:

WATTON, a small town, a parish, and a sub-district, in Wayland district, Norfolk. The town stands on the river Wissey, at the terminus of the Thetford and Watton railway, 9 miles NNE of Thetford; adjoins Wayland Wood, the scene of the old ballad of the "Children in the Wood;" is a seat of petty sessions; consists chiefly of one wide street; and has a post-office‡ under Thetford, a r. ...


station, a banking office, a good inn, a police station, a town hall of 1853, an ancient market-cross with a quaint rebus, a restored ancient church, a large national school, an agricultural society, alms houses, other charities £127, a weekly market on Wednesday, and five annual fairs. The parish comprises 1,807 acres. Real property, £6,860. Pop., 1,365. Houses, 303. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £190.* Patron, the Rev. W. H. Hicks.—The sub-district contains 14 parishes. Acres, 28,178. Pop., 6,056. Houses, 1,330.

Watton through time

Watton is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Watton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Watton, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2912

Date accessed: 16th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Watton ".