Place:


Haile  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Haile like this:

HAILE, or HALE, a parish in Whitehaven district, Cumberland; near Copeland forest, the river Eden, and the Whitehaven and Furness railway, 2½ miles SSE of Egremont. It includes the hamlet of Wilton; and its post town is Egremont, under Whitehaven. Acres, 3, 220. Real property, £2, 513. ...


Pop., 302. Houses, 58. The property is subdivided. The manor, with Haile Hall, belongs to the Ponsonbys. Limestone and freestone abound. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £82.* Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is good, and contains two mural tablets to the Ponsonbys.

Haile through time

Haile is now part of Copeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Copeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Haile itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haile, in Copeland and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2895

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Haile ".