Place:


Lower Hardres  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lower Hardres like this:

HARDRES (LOWER), a parish in Bridge district, Kent; on Stane-street, 3 miles ESE of Chartham r. station, and 3¼ S of Canterbury. Post-town, Canterbury. Acres, 1,176. Real property, £1,949. Pop., 233. Houses, 46. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £317. Patron, St. John's College, Oxford. The church was rebuilt in 1831; is in the early English style; and comprises nave and chancel, with a spire. There is a national school.

Lower Hardres through time

Lower Hardres is now part of Canterbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Canterbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lower Hardres itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lower Hardres, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2870

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lower Hardres ".