Place:


the Isle of Grain  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described the Isle of Grain like this:

GRAIN (Isle of), or St. James, a parish in Hoo district, Kent; between the Thames and the Medway, 2 miles W by N of Sheerness r. station. It has a post office under Rochester. Acres, 9, 431; of which 6, 150 are water. Real property, £4, 987. Pop., 255. Houses, 49. The property is divided among a few. ...


The land was an island; bounded, on the W, by Yantlet creek, -on the other sides, by the Thames and the Medway; but it is now connected with the mainland westward by a good road. The site of the village, on the E, is high ground; but the rest of the parish is low and flat, mostly pasture and marsh; and is protected from sea-inundation by embankments. The Nore-light is off the E end. A large fort for the defence of the Medway was nearly completed in June 1865. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £360.* Patron, G. Henderson, Esq. The church belonged, before the time of Edward I., to Minster nunnery in Sheppey; has a brass of 1494; and is good. There is an Independent chapel.

the Isle of Grain through time

the Isle of Grain is now part of Medway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Medway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about the Isle of Grain itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of the Isle of Grain, in Medway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2867

Date accessed: 17th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " the Isle of Grain ".