Place:


Llanelwedd  Radnorshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanelwedd like this:

LLANELWEDD, a parish in the district of Builth and county of Radnor; on the river Wye, at the boundary with Breconshire, ½ a mile NE of Builth town and r. station. Post town, Builth, Breconshire. Acres, 2,020. Real property, £1,345; of which £10 are in fisheries. Pop., 227. Houses, 37. ...


Llanelwedd Hall was an old seat of the Gwynnes. Wellfield is the seat of E. D. Thomas, Esq.; has a beautifully wooded park, on high ground above the Wye; and commands a fine view. Pencerrig House, or Pen-y-Cerig, is another seat of the Thomas family; and has a finelake in its grounds. There are remains of ancient camps. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £100.* Patron, E. D. Thomas, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Matthew, and is beautifully situated on the Wye. There is an endowed school, with £17 a year; and the parish shares in the Boughrood charities at Brecon.

Llanelwedd through time

Llanelwedd is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanelwedd itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanelwedd, in Powys and Radnorshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2859

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanelwedd ".