Place:


Llanddewi Ystradenni  Radnorshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanddewi Ystradenni like this:

LLANDEWY-YSTRADENNY, a village and a parish in Knighton district, Radnor. The village stands on the river Ithon, overhung by mountains, 3¼ miles N by W of Penybont r. station, and 12 WSW of Knighton. The parish contains the townships of Church and Mystyrrhoesllowdy, and part of the township of LlanfihangelRhydithon; and its Post town is Penybont, Radnorshire. ...


Acres, 8,075. Real property, £1,772. Pop., 669. Houses, 109. The surface exhibits some fine hill scenery, and abounds in ancient entrenchments. Castelle Cymaron is the site of a castle which belonged, in the 12th century, to the Earl of Chester-in the 14th century, to the Mortimers; and is opposite an ancient British, double-ditched camp, called the Gaer. The living is a p. curacy, united with the p. curacy of LlanfihangelRhydithon, in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £112. Patron, the Chancellor of Brecon.

Llanddewi Ystradenni through time

Llanddewi Ystradenni is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanddewi Ystradenni itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanddewi Ystradenni, in Powys and Radnorshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2857

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanddewi Ystradenni ".