Place:


Underbarrow  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Underbarrow like this:

UNDERBARROW, a township-chapelry, with two hamlets, in Kendal parish, Westmoreland; 3¼ miles W of Kendal r. station. Post town, Milnthorpe. Real property, £4,802. Pop., 478. Houses, 81. The property is much subdivided. U. Scar is a remarkable ridgy height, with precipitous escarpments; and commands a very brilliant view of the Furness sea-board and of Morecambe bay. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £109.* Patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The church is good; and there is a parochial school.

Underbarrow through time

Underbarrow is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Underbarrow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Underbarrow, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2847

Date accessed: 19th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Underbarrow ".