Place:


Stainmore  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stainmore like this:

STAINMORE, a township-chapelry in Brough parish, Westmoreland; 2 miles W of Barras r. station, and 3¼ ESE of Brough. Post town, Brough, under Penrith. Real property, £5,148; of which £347 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 549; in 1861, 672. Houses, 122. The property is much subdivided. ...


S. Forest extends into Kirkby-Stephen and Bowes parishes; includes Black hill, 1,500 feet high: is traversed by Watling-street; and contains Rey-Cross and a Roman camp. Lead ore, coal, and freestone, are found. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £119. Patron, Sir R. Tufton, Bart. The church was recently rebuilt. There are an endowed school with £68 a year, and charities £13.

Stainmore through time

Stainmore is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stainmore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stainmore, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2845

Date accessed: 22nd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stainmore ".