Place:


Bishopsbourne  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishopsbourne like this:

BISHOPSBOURNE, a parish in Bridge district, Kent; adjacent to the Dover and Canterbury railway, near Adisham station, 4 miles SE by S of Canterbury. It has a post office under Canterbury. Acres, 2,002. Real property, £2,739. Pop., 416. Houses, 75. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged once to the Archbishops of Canterbury, and afterwards to the Colepeppers and the Auchers. ...


Bourne Park is the seat of M. Bell, Esq. Some Saxon barrows, on the higher ground, were opened in 1844. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £700.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is perpendicular English; was restored in 1843; has a modern east window of five lights, with armorial bearings; and contains the monument of Hooker, exhibiting his bust, in a square cap and gown. Hooker was rector from 1595 till his death in 1600; and the parsonage, though greatly modernized, retains parts which probably were in it in Hooker's time.

Bishopsbourne through time

Bishopsbourne is now part of Canterbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Canterbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bishopsbourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishopsbourne, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2843

Date accessed: 19th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bishopsbourne ".