Place:


Selside  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Selside like this:

SELSIDE, a township and a chapelry in Kendal parish, Westmoreland. The township lies 3 miles N N E of Burneside r. station, and 4 N by E of Kendal; and bearsthe name of Selside and Whitwell. Real property, £2, 384. Pop., 257. Houses, 43. The manor belongs to the Hon. Mrs. F. G. Howard. A seat of the Thornburgh familywas here, and has left some traces. ...


The chapelry islarger than the township. Post-town, Kendal. Pop., 308. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £94. Patrons, the Landowners. The church was built in 1720, and reconstructed in 1838. There is an endowed school with £50 a year.

Selside through time

Selside is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Selside itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Selside, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2842

Date accessed: 14th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Selside ".