Place:


Fawcett Forest  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fawcett Forest like this:

FAWCET FOREST, a township in Kendal parish, Westmoreland; 7 miles NNE of Kendal. Pop., 51. Houses, 8. The area is extensive, wild, mountainous, and barren; and so much as 5, 000 acres of it have been let for less than £500 a year. It anciently belonged to Byland Abbey.

Fawcett Forest through time

Fawcett Forest is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fawcett Forest itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fawcett Forest, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2821

Date accessed: 23rd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fawcett Forest ".