Place:


Northchurch  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Northchurch like this:

BERKHAMPSTEAD-ST. MARY, or Northchurch, a parish in Berkhampstead district, Herts; on the Northwestern railway and the Grand Junction canal, averagely 1 mile NW of Berkhampstead, but including part of that town. It has a post office, of the name of Northchurch, under Berkhampstead. Acres, 3,880. ...


Real property, £7,454. Pop., 1,638. Houses, 334. The property is subdivided. An ancient structure, now used as a farmhouse, was originally part of a small priory. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £794. Patron, the Prince of Wales. The church is decorated English, and cruciform. There is a chapel of ease at Broadway, a beautiful edifice, built in 1854. There are also a Baptist chapel, and charities £30.

Northchurch through time

Northchurch is now part of Dacorum district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dacorum has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Northchurch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Northchurch, in Dacorum and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2819

Date accessed: 22nd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Northchurch ".