Place:


Pickworth  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pickworth like this:

PICKWORTH, a village and a parish in the district of Stamford and county of Rutland. The village stands near the boundary with Lincoln, 3¾ miles W N W of Essendine r. station, and 5 N N W of Stamford; was once a considerable place; and has a post-office under Stamford. The parish comprises 3, 680 acres. Real property, £1, 817. Pop., 151. Houses, 29. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Exeter. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Great Casterton, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church was rebuilt in 1824. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Pickworth through time

Pickworth is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pickworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pickworth in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2813

Date accessed: 24th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pickworth ".