Place:


Fownhope  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fownhope like this:

FOWNHOPE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in the district and county of Hereford. The village stands on the river Se, under a fine range of hills, 1 mile ESE of Holme-Lacey r. station, and 6¼ SE of Hereford; and has a post office under Hereford. The parish includes also the township-chapelry of Fawley. ...


Acres, 4, 723. Real property, £7, 622; of which £75 are in quarries, and £15 in fisheries. Pop., 1, 112. Houses, 244. The property is much subdivided. Two ancient camps occur a little N of the village; and one of them, on Capler hill, is double-trenched, bears the name of Woodbury camp, and commands a beautiful and extensive view. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Fawley, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, not reported. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. Both the parish church and Fawley church are good; and the former is mainly Norman, and contains objects of antiquarian interest. There are chapels for Baptists and Brethren. Endowed schools have £55; and other charities £20.—The sub-district contains eight parishes and part of another. Acres, 19, 079. Pop., 5, 614. Houses, 1, 165.

Fownhope through time

Fownhope is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fownhope itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fownhope in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2795

Date accessed: 23rd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fownhope ".