Place:


Cradley  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cradley like this:

CRADLEY (East and West), a parish in Bromyard district, Hereford; under the Malvern hills, at the boundary with Worcester, 3 miles N of Colwall r. station, and 7 ¾ SE of Bromyard. It has a post office, of the name of Cradley, under Malvern. Acres, 5, 966. Real property, £8, 858. Pop., 1,830. ...


Houses, 418. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; and has under it the chapelry of St. John the Evangelist, a vicarage and a separate charge. Value of the rectory, £957;* of the vicarage, £100. Patron of the rectory, the Bishop of Hereford; of the vicarage, the Rector. The parish church was restored in 1869; and the church of St. John is very good. A school has £20 from endowment; and other charities £24.

Cradley through time

Cradley is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cradley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cradley in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2792

Date accessed: 20th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cradley ".