Place:


Reigate  Surrey

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Reigate like this:

Reigate.-- mun. bor., market town, and par., Surrey, 22 miles S. of London by rail, 6015 ac., pop. 18,662; P.O., T.O., and P.O. at Reigate Hill, 1 Bank, 2 news-papers (including 1 at Redhill). Market-day, Tuesday. The par. consists of the townships of Reigate Borough, 435 ac., pop. ...


3274; and Reigate Foreign, 5580 ac., pop. 15,388. Reigate is supposed to have been a fortified town in Saxon times; its castle, built after the Conquest, has disappeared, and the space which it occupied is now a public garden vested in the corporation by Earl Somers, whose seat, Reigate Priory, occupies the site of a small Augustinian monastery. The trade of the place is in agricultural produce, white sand, fullers' earth, freestone, and hearthstone. Lord Howard of Effingham (1536-1624) is buried in the chancel of the parish church. Reigate was incorporated in 1863; it returned 2 members to Parliament until 1832, and one until 1867, when it was disfranchised.

Reigate through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Reigate and Banstead has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Reigate go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Reigate, in Reigate and Banstead and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/279

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Reigate ".