Place:


Great Lumley  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Lumley like this:

LUMLEY, a chapelry in Chester-le-Street parish, Durham; on Lumley beck, an affluent of the river Wear, 2 miles NW of Fence-Houses r. station, and 2 SE of Chester-le-Street. It consists of the townships of Great Lumley and Little Lumley; the former of which has a post office under Fence-Houses. ...


Acres, 2,410. Real property, £19,799; of which £15,300 are in mines. Pop., 1,928. Houses, 412. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church was built in 1859, and is in the decorated English style. There are two Wesleyan chapels, a national school, alms houses for twelve widows, and other charities £50.

Great Lumley through time

Great Lumley is now part of Chester le Street district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester le Street has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Lumley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Lumley, in Chester le Street and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2772

Date accessed: 24th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Lumley ".